Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

When Duane said that he took his last few days off the end of December I thought, "What are we going to DO!?"  I pictured us stuck in the house with no where to go and nothing to do.  Well, was I wrong!  We have had such a great time over this Christmas break.  Today is the first day back to reality and I am going to miss all the time with him here.  For Christmas we got an Xbox Kinnect system and I have to tell ya, that thing is soooo fun!  It is also a great workout!  You jump, duck, swing your arms, and basically get a full body workout without even knowing it!  Duane also gave me a Kindle and I LOVE it!

New Years Eve found us downtown.  Yes, downtown in the middle of the crowds and hub-bub of the festivities that the city put on complete with singing entertainment, ice skating, flame throwers, and ice sculptures.  Then, at EIGHT there was to be a fireworks show!  (NOT MIDNIGHT!  YAY)  I love being in crowds at times like this because there is an energy--and excitement--that normal crowds don't have.

One of my favorite things to do here is check out all the hats.  I have never seen such a huge variety of hats.  There are people walking around with dead animals wrapped around their heads!  Fur is really big up here..and I mean big as in size as well as favor.

It was a great evening and after the fireworks we headed home only to find the festivities were still going on all through the city.  One of my favorite memories of Germany was that on New Years Eve we would have hot chocolate and Double Stuff Oreos and set off fireworks.  The whole valley would have fireworks going off and you could see the glow in the clouds.  It was so awesome.  Well, Anchorage topped Germany.  All the way home we could see bursts of sparkle everywhere and when we got home and we were surrounded by firework displays outside every window.  These weren't just the little bottle rocket either!  These were like a smaller version of the great big firework displays you drive to watch.  It was amazing.  It wasn't until around 1 a.m. that they stopped so we had about a four or five hour show to bring in the New Year.  So cool!!!  HAPPY NEW YEAR!

This New Years at a glance link will show you all the photos of our fun at the festivities!

3 comments:

Valerie: said...

glad you guys had a new years...sounds like you did more than we did!! When i clicked on that link to see more pics it said nothing was there ummm

Gae said...

The link opens in Picasa so you have to have Picasa on your computer....I think...I will fix that! Thanks Val. Thanks for checking my blog too.

Ledalu said...

I showed the big hat picture to Paul the other night...he wants one, hee hee hee! I love you mom...check my blog k?