Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Flooding in Vernal

So much has happened this summer and I can barely catch my breath.  This update is sooooo out of order in the events that I would have liked to publish but I thought it might be interesting to a few family members who know the area.

We have had rain, rain, rain over the last month or so.  There is a little housing development on the back road to LaPoint that goes by Yellow Hill where the flooding has been relentless.  This morning after dropping Chrystal at the airport to fly out in a torrential rain storm, I went over to Yellow Hill to check it out.  As I drove down main street, the streets were flooded.  The water ran on both sides of the road covering at least half of the right hand lanes.  At Yellow Hill there was water every where!  There is a road that turns north to go up the hill and the water was at least a foot deep as it ran over the road while the water was pouring through the culvert that went under the road.

The pictures I took are not at all good because I had my camera set on AV without knowing it…bad photographer!  I didn't dare stop on the side of the road because there was too much traffic coming and going so these were taken through my front windshield.  Anyway, you should be able to get the gist of what it looked like.  I had to run to the house to get my camera and by the time I got back the water level had gone down and was no longer running over the road but you can just imagine how it looked when I first saw it!



This is where the rater ran over the road.
The culvert is at least 4' in diameter.

This is just one of the washes that converged right
where the housing development began.



p.s.  Chrystal did make it safely to Salt Lake and she said that the flight wasn't rough at all even though she flew out amid thunder and lightening.

No comments: