This year at Ed Week, it was brought up quite often that there are so many people leaving the church--ALL churches--and in my mind that scripture rolled once again. I can see people all around me who are becoming lazy in their devotion to God (I have to include myself in that list as well!). I believe that the "sifting" warning that was spoken to Simon Peter is now happening in today's world. I don't think that anything could possibly make me as sad as sad could be than thinking about those who choose to step away from the light of Christ to follow the enticings of this crazy and whacked out world. It is a time to be diligent in living a life with Christ and his example as our guide. This is the test...will we endure or become lazy or apathetic.
Ed Week, as usual, was superb. There is no way that I could cover everything I learned or had brought back to my remembrance in a way that I needed. Here are some highlights:
Alonzo Gaskill taught about the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden and here are a few highlights:
- The story is OUR story, not the literal historical story of Adam and Eve. Eve is the symbol for the church members and Adam is the symbol for Christ. Remember, Adam (or Christ) chose not to partake of the fruit but ended up having to do it to fulfill his mission with mankind. It was his desire to follow ALL of God's commandments and since Eve, or mankind, became fallen, he had to come to earth as well to save her/us/his church.
- The literal Adam and Eve did know of the Father's plan and there were no conflicting commandments (like don't eat of the apple but you have to eat of the apple to have children). Adam and Eve were still in the presence of God, a place where evil (or Satan) could not enter unless he was let in by someone, and they were given agency to choose to either stay in the garden and the presence of God OR they could make the choice to "partake of the fruit" and become fallen and mortal, therefore able to have children. They were fully aware of the consequences of partaking of the fruit.
- Eden had no veil of forgetfulness. There was no need for faith because they were still in the presence of God. Because mortal man's trial was to live by faith, there was a need to leave the garden and go into the mortal world where the VEIL of forgetfulness would be introduced and their vision would be obscured; giving us the opportunity to choose to follow God by faith or follow Satan.
- Fig leaves are the symbol of the fallen state of covering ourselves after we sin--we try to cover our guilt with excuses--it is a covering from the world; whereas the coats of skins that the Lord provided was the divine covering of the Savior's atonement.
- Naked symbolizes that they became aware they that they were bare of good deeds or righteousness.
- The Deep Sleep that came upon Adam (or Christ) was a symbol of Christ's death. Through that deep sleep Eve is symbolically born. Through Christ's death or atonement, the church is born or brought back.
- When Eve (the church) covenants to follow the council of Adam, it is symbolic of the church membership understanding that the only way to return to Heavenly Father is by following the Savior.
- As Adam and Eve leave the Garden of Eden (the 1st Temple), they travel TOGETHER. Adam (Christ) is Eve's (the church's) protector. His strength exceeds ours and he serves as our companion, protector, and provider. In the ancient days, it was a custom that when you gave up one land, as in selling it or giving it to someone else, you took your shoes off to show that you had no more ownership in that property.
- The Creation is juxtaposed to the fall to show that the in the beginning ALL was perfect. Then temptation/agency brought about the fall and the perfect world was messed up. Then, because of Christ coming to earth for us/with us, we will all be able to return to that state of perfection again--if we use our agency to decide that is what we want.
- THE ANSWER as to why we are taught the same things over and over: The accumulation of repeated simple acts is the Lord's way of healing our souls. All of these small and simple things, continually repeated, work together to create a whole person.
From Tyler Griffin who taught What I Wish I Had Known When I First Taught:
- You are an instrument in the hands of the Lord. When is the last time you went to a museum and said, "I'd love to see the chisel that made that statue!"? You want to see the artist, not the chisel! Christ is the artist, you, the teacher, are the chisel.
From Robert Millett who taught Chosen From Eternity:
- If we don't get and keep the spirit, we will find ourselves as we were before--no progression.
From Craig James Ostler who taught Refuge From the Wickedness in the Latter-days:
- A quote from Dallin H. Oaks: "Evil that used to be localized and covered like a boil is now legalized and paraded like a banner..."
- In 2 Timothy 3: 1-5 it tells of how people will become in the last days: lovers of self; covetous; boasters; proud; blasphemers; disobedient, ect. People have always had these problems BUT in November 2001 Ensign, President Hinckley said that "we see today all of these evils more commonly and generally than they have ever been seen."
- How wicked can it become? In Christ's time, priests were hypocrites, adulterers. Zealots who became tired of the hypocrisy became fierce against Rome. They began to think it was okay to rob and plunder fellow Jewish men. Josh of Ishalla was the leader of one of these zealot bands. They found ENTERTAINMENT in ransacking, raping, and killing for sport. In the last days, people will find entertainment in killing (think...video games?).
I'm too pooped to write more. The greatest thing about going to all of these classes is that it reminds me of what I am doing here. It reminds me that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to worshiping God. It shows me that there are soooo many levels of understanding there for the picking but that so many people throughout the world are blinded to it because it takes extra effort above the regular "duties" of living the gospel. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true and I am grateful to have his example to follow. I'm grateful for the scriptures and for continuing revelation. I hope it will be said more times than not that I am on the Lord's side.
Now, if you have read through this entire posting, you will be eligible for an extra $10,000 in my will. Just post a comment so that I know you read the whole thing! HA!
3 comments:
Hey mom, I am not writing for the money...but I would like more notes. I have to live vicariously you know. I want to put these things in my scriptures.
HA! Well, you just might get surprised if I ever croak over! I wish you could have been there with us...such great insight and depth by so many instructors. Maybe in a couple years...?
124No temptation for me. I know you don't have $10,000 to leave me because I am going to die first! I just want to spend the rest of my life enjoying the times watching my children grow stronger and stronger in their testimonies and letting some of the wisdom you display as you grow in the gospel. I am so impressed how you can get the messages given in classes and really understand how they relate to you. Thank you for this blog. It makes things so much clearer than when you guys talked about it. You write it so I finally understand what you all tried to share with me at BYU. I am so glad you chose to come to my family. I love you so much.
Post a Comment