HOLLYWOOD has stepped out of it's craving for explosions, sex, and the over-loading of society with crass stupidity and garbage. They actually made two incredibly uplifting movies this year!
Now, I am a strong lover of movies that take you away from it all and into that wonderful fantasy land of perfect people, perfect hair, and perfect endings. But, a movie that actually touches the soul comes along so rarely that it really stands out from the rest.
We just got back form Les Miserables and I never thought that I would witness something as moving as the play that we saw years ago in London. The movie is simply incredible. In it you realize that each group of people plays a symbolic part in who we are as a society. There are the Thenardier's (the ones who took care of Cosette when she was little) who are those that always seem to get away with everything and never have a comeuppance. There are those who stand on the front lines and try to change the world--the ones with high ideals during their lives but who are not well known until their deaths. The "little people" who stand and inspire the old and tired. Javert is the self-righteous who always tries to live within the strict lines of what he considers truth--and therefore loses sight of the true value of a man. And, of course, Valjean who has been saved by a righteous man and then tries to live so that his life would be worth saving. As he goes along, he pays it forward and saves the lives of others while his own life is continually threatened. This is a movie that each one of us plays a part.
While I thought it incredible, Mr. D thought it was, "okay" (which is his usual opinion of most movies). It is a musical, people, and very few words are actually said without a song. So, make sure you are prepared for a serious movie full of singing!
My other favorite was Lincoln. I have always been fascinated with that era in our history and this movie did so much to show the struggles of a nation and a man. I went to an Ed Week class on Lincoln so this movie just followed up with what I had already learned.
Both movies are about standing up to the struggle of mankind even when all seems lost and impossible. I'd say that these two were released with perfect timing. Our nation, and the world, are filled with frustration and struggle right now. Hopefully there will be those few great people who will stand and make the difference for all of us. Even the small acts of strength, goodness, compassion, and love all add up to a big difference for all of society.
No comments:
Post a Comment