Friday, July 1, 2011

Tribute to an Amazing Son

Over the past few days my thoughts have been focused a lot on Dillon.  Although I think all of our kids are incredible, he's got my attention this week.  I would just like to say what an incredible man this little boy has grown in to.  Some of you know that Dillon had to go to give his presentation down in Mesa last week.  Instead of rushing home, he took time to come out to help me and to simply spend some time with me.  I think we forget how much we love being home until we are too far away to be able to come. 

Now, Dillon knew that I desperately needed help taking down the carport in preparation for our building on to the house.  He had planned on going hiking with Justin--not WORKING with me but he came anyway.  We both knew that it was going to be a lot of work.  So, we went fishing in order to prepare our minds for the upcoming project.  :)  We had a grand ole time!  Dillon caught ten fish the first day and I caught four.  I love watching him with that fly fishing pole swaying back and forth until he places that hook just where he wants it.  It was a wonderful day--even the hike up the mountain was fun!

We did get to the dreaded work of removing a million boards and 240lbs of aluminum siding.  It took most of one day and half of the other but we got it done...and I COULD NOT have done it without my boy's help.

I guess my thoughts have been about how he is such a conqueror.  In college, he just did what had to be done.  He had a full schedule of classes as well as a full time job and family.  I swear that he lived off of three or four hours of sleep a night for two years straight--and rarely had a break.  I remember him looking totally exhausted and worn out.  But, he still stepped up and did what had to be done.  I didn't know that the human body could withstand so much while running on so little.  THEN he started med school and although he wasn't able to hold a job during that school, he probably would have if they would have allowed it.  He got a little more sleep but still had to keep a balance between all of the demands of school, hours of studying, and being a husband, father, Sunday School teacher, and calming influence to everyone he came in contact with.  I know that he feels that without Valerie by his side, things would have been so much more difficult.  He cherishes her beyond her imagination. 


Now he is ready to graduate and become Doctor Dillon.  He will be a great doctor--but it isn't because of all the studying as much as it is that he is such a caring and kind person who would drop everything to drive hours and hours to help his mother--or anyone else who may need him.  He didn't want me to give him anything in return for working so hard on the carport.  He just wanted to be there for me and to have a little time to "come home."  Words cannot express the gratitude I have for being blessed with this wonderful and caring young man that I call my son.  I will forever cherish the memory of the few days I had with him--hiking, fishing, working, being my photo assistant, eating sandwiches, and drinking lots of Gatorade.  Some day I will think of bigger words that mean much more than just, "Thank You Dillon....," because those just aren't big enough to express how grateful I am for how you live your life and the great blessing you are to our lives.

2 comments:

Valerie: said...

YES Dillon is a GREAT guy!! I sure hope Turin grows up to be like him!!

Valerie: said...

I didn't know I was such a wonderful person!?!?! I had fun too! ;)