It made me a little sad that we didn't have any young children in our home any more. The focus tended to be centered on families and what to do to keep them safe from the "loonacy" (like Loony Tunes!) of today's world. The girls and I were talking a week or so ago about the upcoming Conference and how excited we were for it. Two of the girls had things that were going on with their families that would keep them from being able to totally focus on the talks--or even watch them. The comment was made, "Well, what did we do when we had little kids!? How did we get anything out of it back then!?" Sadly the answer was that it wasn't that big of a deal when we were young parents. We didn't block out Saturday and Sunday from any other influences as we do now.
As I sat enthralled in the words of our leadership, I thought of how sad it was that as young mothers we were so nonchalant about our dedication to such a wonderful learning opportunity. Although our family lived in different circumstances and actually had to go to the Stake Center to watch conference, I wondered if I realized what was being offered to me at the time. It was a whole day affair when we were overseas. We would pack up a lunch and all the members would hang out in between sessions and visit. I enjoyed that...but I don't remember if we stayed long enough for all four sessions.
This conference, in my opinion, was The perfect Parenting Guide Manual for Today's Families. A few of the parenting tips that really hit me are:
- The Priesthood is not as strong as it should be. Too many of our Priesthood brethren are living below their privileges and below what the Lord expects. There will be times when all that stands between Satan and your home will be the power of your Priesthood.
- Women should be women and not people who feel like they constantly need petting and babying. We need stronger women of faith.
- Hope, peace, and joy do not depend upon circumstance.
- Parents are commanded to bring the light of the gospel into their families one step at a time--consistently.
- Read and talk about the scriptures with your children so that you can feel their testimony grow--or not grow--then act accordingly.
- Bring the life of the Savior into every day discussions so that your children will come to know him--such as, when they are lonely, tell of when the Savior was all alone at the hardest time of his life (Gethsemane); when they are upset with someone, teach how the Savior forgave after being spit upon, beaten, and mocked.
- Children need a testimony of their own and it is NEVER TOO EARLY TO START. Read your scriptures to your infants!
- A mind will become weak if not constantly challenged to learn. Real learning comes at the foot of the mother and father--not at the foot of the television. Parents need to turn off the t.v. and spend more time with their children.
- Sit at the table for meals. Family meals are important because of family interaction.
- We need to speak more frequently of our Savior.
1 comment:
I read your post, Mom! Now you have to keep writing because I'm always watching. :) Thank you for being the example that you were to us. I know I haven't always been the faithful daughter, but I'm trying now. I love you!
Post a Comment