In the LDS Church we have a meeting
called Fast and Testimony Meeting. It is generally the first Sunday
of each month. It is a meeting where we are invited to share our
feelings about the Savior and the blessings of the gospel. Too often
it turns in to a “Thank-ta-mony” meeting instead of a Testimony
meeting. People will get up and say how grateful they are for this
or that—almost as if they were simply saying a prayer to the
congregation. “I'm thankful for all the nice people. I'm thankful
for my family. I'm thankful for my wonderful parents and for all
they do for me....” And eventually they will get to the part where
they say they are thankful for the Savior and their testimony of Him.
They forget that they have not shared much about what their
testimony really IS concerning their Savior.
We get into such a habit of giving
Thank-ta-monies that some are offended or left out if they are not
mentioned. I have a friend whose husband was very offended that she
did not say how much she loved him from the pulpit. SHE actually
shared her Testimony! She spoke only of the Savior and her feelings
about Him. Why do we feel we need to go through the list of
thank-you-you're-wonderful's to people who are easily approached and
thanked one on one? Yes, her husband is (supposedly) a blessing but
that is not what constitutes a testimony. Yes, it is great to share
what we are grateful for, but perhaps those things may be better
expressed directly to the people involved. You may think I'm bitter
because I am rarely—if ever—in one of those lists of wonderful
people that people are thankful for in front of the whole
congregation. Would it be great to have my name mentioned? Sure!
But, that does not constitute a Testimony.
I've been thinking about this little
concept of publicly proclaimed “your wonderfulnesses” lately.
Although my life is full and busy and I try to focus on helping
people and making memories with my loved ones, I can see why it is
important to focus our testimony meetings upon the Savior rather than
the list of things for which we are grateful. Other people may not have those
blessings that you're so eager to tell everyone that you do have;
other people do not have people who appreciate them as you are
appreciated; other people who are listening often feel out of place,
like they've missed the boat of wonderfulnesses.
But! A testimony does not depend upon
the size of your house or the number of children you have or how
handsome and kind and loving your husband may be or even the weather! A Testimony is an
equalizer. It is focused on the same being and HIS greatness.
Anyone can have a testimony regardless of any other circumstances in
their life. We can all know that He hears our prayers. We can all
know that He is our Savior who taught, through example, how to live a
better life. We can all know that He both lived and died for you—you
personally. We can all know of the truthfulness of the gospel of
Jesus Christ. And the list goes on...but it is centered on Christ.
That is a testimony.
I have a hard time with Facebook. When
I go on, it brings feelings to me that say that I'm not enough to one
person or another because they rarely mention the things I do for or
with them...but they are always commenting about how awesome others
are...pitiful, aren't I. Sad to say, but that is why I avoid
Facebook. Anyway, today I have been feeling like our Testimony
Meetings can often be like Facebook. I can see why we are counseled
to focus on the Savior and share our Testimonies rather than our
Thank-ta-monies.
By the way...if you have got this far
in reading this post, please do not take this as a hint that I want
more compliments and thank you's. I am just sharing an observation
and as long as I don't begin to compare my faults with others'
perfectness on Facebook, I'm good...
1 comment:
Oh, but you are awesome, hee hee! Love you mom.
Post a Comment