Thursday, October 11, 2012

North to Alaska!

It has been quite a year of change; renovation, decoration, separation.

After sixteen months of living in separate homes, Duane and I are finally back together under the same roof.  Unfortunately, it isn't our newly renovated, decorated, and decked out home--but Alaska will do nicely, thank you!  It is good to be back with ma'man and my bestest friend.

No, our home wasn't totally finished when I left but I thought that giving our builder a deadline would make him work quicker.  It didn't.  So I left anyway thinking that I would be able to see a glorious Autumn in Alaska.  No one told me that the changing of the leaves to the falling of the leaves happens over one weekend!!!  This has been a strange year of weather up here--from a very, very snowy winter and then to this very wet summer.  I wonder if all the mountains will fall into valleys and it will all become a flatland with all this moisture!  Yeah, September only had four days without rain and I'm pretty sure that those four days still had clouds. 

So, I arrived in the middle of September to wind, rain, rain, rain, gloomy clouds, and more wind.  The leaves had all landed in Russia by the time the rain stopped for two days--two weeks after my arrival.  On the 29th of September we had SNOW!!! (see above picture of the mountain behind our house)

I think I'm finally over the adjustment period and my mourning over the lost autumn season in Utah is finally ebbing away.  It is a good thing that I have this darned fine man-candy of a husband to keep me company up here.  It's nice being married to your best friend that you can laugh with, joke with, and cuddle with when the weather is being stinky outside.
Okay, so I did find a few leaves still on the trees but there are a lot! on the ground!!!

This is on a hill in Kincade Park overlooking Cook Bay to the east; one of the few photos I got of the fall leaves.

No comments: