Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year

One of the reasons I love the holidays is because it is almost fairytale-like.  Everyone feels the hustle and bustle and excitement of the season; there is a crispness in the air when you first walk out of the house for that first breath of snow-filled air that compliments the coziness of the warmth of inside.  Busy takes on a different speed with the focus on doing things for other people and getting fat while doing it.  We make goodies that are reserved only for the holidays because we know that if we made them all year long they would lose their specialness.  Oh, how I love the holidays.

We have had a wonderful couple of months filled with family and parties and more family.  We played dominoes and Wacky Six who knows how many hours and stayed up late way too many nights.  We sang songs and even put on a silly skit where Duane ended up stuffing my face with artichoke spinach dip and then wiping the excess on my over abundant bosoms that were created by a very cleaver fold of my arms underneath my dress.  We ate turkey, pie, shrimp, candy, and who knows what else; all we know is that we feel like a cartoon caricature that is as round as an ornament with tiny little legs poking out from underneath. 

I am sad it is all over.  I will miss the twinkling lights on my freshly-cut -from-the-mountain Christmas tree.  What I am left with is another bucket full of great memories.  Our trip to visit the girls and their families was a definite highlight only to be surpassed by calls from our boys and their families wishing us Merry Christmas.  I do love my little growing family beyond measure. I love the memories that are created with every day visits and chats on the internet.  I love that we have been so blessed by wise and wonderful children who have families that they cherish and love almost as deeply as we do them.




Here are a few highlights from our Christmas.  Zachary came scurrying down the stairs to find a wonderland of train tracks and presents.  The first thing that came from his mouth was, "I like it!"  And, we liked it all as well.  It has been a wonderful year filled with you, our kids, and a lot of memory making moments.  Thanks for making it all so wonderful kids.  I think we will keep you for another year...

1 comment:

Valerie: said...

love the pics...I like that picture on top. where was that taken? You guys look so fancy!! Your hair is longer too. Great pic