Monday, January 26, 2009

Me--Being a Mom

In my questionable way of trying to be a "cool" mom that doesn't nag and push her adult children, I would like to break from the norm and just share a few thoughts I've had lately. If it inspires you, I'm grateful. If it doesn't, well, shoot! Perhaps that is the reason I try to stay on the other side of pushy when it comes to this stuff. But today, I can't seem to contain my thoughts so I figure I'd better share them.

Anyway, yesterday was an interesting day. It was the day that Jonathon was ordained to the office of an Elder in his preparations to entering the mission field. He hopes to get his calling this week. Over the past few months, we have all had our serious doubts whether this boy was actually going to make it through the screening process of becoming a missionary. His whole life was focused on having fun and ignoring any sense of responsibility towards the elder generation. But, as I've always believed, he has promise. He really can be a great force if he gets his ducks straightened out.

The ordination was incredible. It is one of the spiritual experiences that made my journal. As well as making the pages of my journal, it prompted some serious thought. As we gathered in the office, Bishop Jones welcomed us and then turned the time over to the Stake Representative. All worthy men were asked to join the circle. Dad rose, Richard rose, the bishopric rose...every man in the room joined in except the one man who was seated next to me.

He is one of the greatest men that I know. He serves and cares for people sincerely. He goes to all of his priesthood meetings--even those ones that are inconveniently put during the off hours of our normal meeting schedule--you know...those stake and general conference ones that often seem optional. He reaches out to invite others to join him. He studies his scriptures for hours as he prepares to teach the youth each week in Sunday School. He does his home teaching without complaint. He does the dishes for his wife when a whole hoard of people invade to eat every morsel offered so that she can relax and enjoy spending time with us. He bales out his kids when they get into trouble. Some may not consider him to be the most patient of persons, but I do. He is an inspiration to me. He tries so very hard to make life better for those around him.
With all of that being said, one small giant thing holds him from being able to participate wholly in the things that are most important to him. He has tried and tried to overcome and my heart aches for him. As he sat there next to me yesterday, I couldn't help but drop a few tears for him being the only one who couldn't put his hands on Jonathan's head and all I wanted to do was to reach out and hold his hand to comfort myself probably more than him. I wish I knew how to help him but with something so strong as this stumbling block, the only answer will come from total reliance on Heavenly Father.

I was overwhelmed with many emotions during those few minutes of prayer when everyone's eyes were closed listening intently to the blessing. There was one man who couldn't participate in the blessing but surely desired it above all the others in the room. He wasn't able to participate in blessings for his children or grand children; he couldn't go to the wedding of his daughter in the temple; he couldn't go with his wife when she went to the temple--in so many ways he faced a big brick wall. I can not say at what level of gratitude the other men had for the opportunity to have this gift but the contrast in the different levels of understanding, desire, and gratefulness for the gift of the Priesthood had to cover quite a range.

To my Priesthood boys, Dillon, Josh, and Paul, I hope you cherish your Priesthood and that you never take it lightly. It is a gift of great responsibility--a GIFT. Not everyone can do what you are blessed to do. Strengthen your priesthood and your family by getting yourselves to the temple. You have no idea what you are missing out on when you skip out on such a simple thing as going to the temple and being a spiritual leader to your family. You are messing up if you aren't doing it. Your family is the most precious gift. It is tied to the gift of the Priesthood--they go hand in hand and one enhances the other.

Be grateful boys. Be grateful that you live near a temple. Be grateful for the opportunity to serve and don't grumble about it. Your kids and wife will pick up on it and it is stressful to them and to spiritual growth--yours and theirs. If you want a harmonious home and family, do what you need to do to get to there and your wives will follow your lead. Get to the temple. As I told you when you were younger, there is nothing more attractive to a woman than a man who honors his Priesthood without her having to nag him to do it. I love you all from the very depths of my soul and I hope you know that. I hope you realize how blessed you are. I hope you are on your knees in gratitude every single day because, boys, you are blessed beyond your comprehension in your every day stressful and mundane lives.

4 comments:

Valerie: said...

Amen!! I think I know who could not join in the circle but he still is a good man like you said. Hopefully one of these days he will realize the mistakes he has made and make it to the temple!! Can't wait for you guys to come soon. We are still hunting for those beans. Dillon went to safeway and no luck so hopefully we will be able to make it to another store. Things are crazy with everyone here!!

Gae said...

:) He definitely knows the mistakes he has made...but some are more easily overcome than others and I don't know anyone trying harder than he does.
Thanks for searching for beans for me! I can't believe they are so stinkin hard to find (no pun intended).
See you tomorrow!

Ledalu said...

Paul read your blog and I didn't even know it! He appreciates your words and agrees with you. I love you mom.

Candice said...

I am so sobbing right now! That has been heavy on my mind for over a month now. I never seem to find that peaceful, quiet moment, and clear mind, to sit and put my thoughts on paper for that great man. But I will find the time hopefully soon, cuz a baptism is coming in Nov and I really want him there! I'm so glade you and Duane are there for my mom and dad I think you give them (and everyone else) more strength than you know. Thanks!